Phone: (305) 856-2444
Fax: (305) 285-9227
Erica English has been a member of Katz Barron’s Real Estate Practice Group since 1986. Her practice includes the active handling and supervision of acquisition/assemblage, development, construction, leasing and financing transactions involving retail, office and mixed use projects, with a sub-specialty in hospitality and private club representation.
Erica also handles business transactions, primarily the purchase and sale of non-public companies on a stock or asset basis, joint venture agreements and employment agreements.
Erica previously practiced commercial litigation at the firm, focusing on real property and lending disputes. She now uses that experience to counsel clients regarding strategy and risk in transactional matters and to support the Litigation Practice Group in loan workouts and in developing case strategy for real estate-related litigation.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- Private Clubs and Club Communities
- Business Transactions
- Retail, office and mixed-use development and leasing for various projects representing developers, owners, lenders and tenants.
- Lender and borrower representation in commercial and select residential mortgage financing transactions with individual and company borrowers.
- Development, design, construction and construction management contract negotiation and lien law compliance.
- Private club representation, including Ocean Reef Club and Fisher Island Club, particularly as to design and construction contracts for capital improvement projects, financing for working capital and capital improvements, and resolution of developer and turnover disputes.
- Purchase and sale of retail, office, industrial, multi-family and mixed use assets.
- Sale of Jupiter Festival Shopping Center, Jupiter, Florida, representing the seller.
- Purchase, sale and financing of luxury hospitality assets, including Chatham Bars Inn, Chatham, Massachusetts; The Driskill Hotel, Austin, Texas; Le Pavillion Hotel, New Orleans; The Biltmore Hotel, Coral Gables.
- DIP loans and loan workouts of construction mortgage on Bentley Bay Condominium, Miami Beach, representing the lender.
- Case strategy development and settlement negotiation and administration in litigation cases involving title insurance defense claims, mortgage foreclosures, quiet title actions, transactional disputes, contested partnership dissolution and liquidation cases, and contested marital assets settlements.
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D. with honors, 1986
- University of Florida Law Review Member, 1985 – 1986
- University of Florida, B.A. with honors, 1983
Awards and Recognition
- Selected for inclusion for Real Estate Law in the 2016 Edition of The Best in America© as published in the Best Lawyers Spring “Women in the Law” Business Edition
- Selected by Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2006 – 2009, 2013
- Selected by Florida Super Lawyers, 2007 – 2015
- Listed among Florida Trend’s Legal Elite 2012 – current
- Selected by South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyer” 2006 – 2009 and 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Urban Land Institute
- Commercial Real Estate Women
- The Florida Bar (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Real Property Section)
- Co-author, Chapter 2, Shopping Centers, Office Buildings, Showrooms and Industrial Properties, Florida Real Property Complex Transactions, The Florida Bar, 1994; 2nd Ed. 1997; 3rd Ed., 2000, 4th Ed., 2004; 5th Ed. 2009; 6th Ed., 2011, 7th Ed., 2013, 8th Ed., 2015 pending publication
- Pro bono assistance to Kristi House facility expansion project
- Trustee Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Switchboard of Miami